While personal finance lessons are taught in more than a handful of words, sometimes it’s nice to have quotes to inspire us to save more, spend more wisely, and make strategic–not stupid–investing decisions. Here are 10 great personal finance quotes to help us get to our next goal, whether that’s paying off a credit card debt, saving our first $1,000, or saving $1M.
- “I will tell you the secret to getting rich on Wall Street. You try to be greedy when others are fearful. And you try to be fearful when others are greedy.” — Warren Buffett
- “Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” — Epictetus
- “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.” — Seneca
- “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki
- “Know what you own, and know why you own it.” – Peter Lynch
- “Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas.” – Paul Samuelson
- “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.” – Maya Angelou
- “When I look at my savings account, I don’t see pounds and pence, I see freedom.” – Merryn Somerset Webb
- “Smart women figure out what, exactly, makes them happiest. They spend generously on those things but cut out the rest.” – Laura Vanderkam
- “Spend extravagantly on the things you love, and cut costs mercilessly on the things you don’t.” ? Ramit Sethi, I Will Teach You To Be Rich
What are your favorite personal finance quotes? Post your top quotes, or write your own, in the comments below.