I’m looking at how to best manage the next 5 years of my life before I, gasp, turn 40 (holy crap, 40 – what on earth happened?) Anyway, I still have 4.5 years before that happens… which is so little time and yet these years will define the rest of my life in that I will either have achieved the final level of phase 1 financial stability, or not, and I will either have had one or more kids (to add to the one I already have) or not.
While planning this type of stuff is hard given so many moving parts and possibilities, I have to say thus far I’ve been pretty good at hitting my goals. I saved $500k before having my first kid, and, with infertility treatments was able to get pregnant by the time I turned 34 (taking my pregnancy test literally on my 34th birthday.) So with a track record like that, I’m going to keep planning and attempting to hit these goals.
Today, I thought out how the next 3-5 years could work… will keep posting here to see if life turns out this way, or not…
- Keep current job until March 2022 and save $400k (net worth $1.3M)
- Potentially free embryos ~Dec 2019 (3 mo after finish breastfeeding)
- Lose 40lbs by May 2020 (~3.5lb / month)
- Move into 3br apartment or house (rent/buy) May 2020
- May/June 2020 (age 36) – pregnant with baby #2 (due Mar/Apr 2021, age 37)
- Maternity leave 4 mo ~Feb/Mar/Apr/May Jun 2021
- Sept/Oct 2022 pregnant with #3 (after 5-6 months at new job!!!) – give birth June/July 2023 (age 39)