For better or worse, I closed out 2012 with $200k in savings and investments. I realized the $50k savings a year strategy works against me when I over achieve my target and start to have a subliminal excuse to spend money that I shouldn’t be spending.
But I’m still pretty amazed that I see $200k in my networth IQ stats to begin with. Given that I’m not the most responsible spender, saving $50k in one year is no easy feat. Most of it was thanks to the growth of my Apple stock, and the overall turnaround of the markets. Also, I effectively earned about $110k last year with all of my bonuses and mid-year raise, so it really shouldn’t be that hard to save $50k. But I like to shop, and eat out, so it’s still rather hard.
This year is the big year. In 2013:
- I turn 30. (AH!!!)
- I celebrate my 7th (!!!) anniversary with my boyfriend.
- I (probably) get engaged?
- I move in with my boyfriend?
- I plan a wedding in 2014 (yikes)
- I support a young company’s extreme growth year (excitement + stress)
- I contemplate trying to have children in 2016
- I exit 2013 with $250,000 in networth!!!
- (and I hope my boyfriend gets his first FT job and lets me introduce him to the concept of retirement savings)